The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Native sun arising, concrete walls are falling...am I as happy as you...

.
October 19, 2006
Thursday

This will be quick.

On my last blog entry, I said that I would start to take care of the examinations that I need and want to pursue. Well, lest procrastination afflicts me once again, yesterday after work, I got my address book and looked up the number of Canadian Immigration's Language Assessment Program.

I was able to get hold of the office and inquired if there's a challenge exam for ESL (English as a Second Language), so I would no longer take a course or something. The receptionist asked me about some details. When she learned that I'm a new permanent resident of Canada, she said that I had to undergo a four-week program which involved a crash course in English and facts about Canada.

Prior to contacting the office, a friend of mine had already given me advice that, in case Immigration brings up that crash course program, I assert that I no longer need that.

So, feeling confident and assertive, I told the lady if I could be exempted from that program since that my English is already above average and that I'm even a writer using the language, and that I already self-taught myself about Canada and its culture and that I could prove them personally at the office, that I could submit copies of my credentials and published works, and that they could interview me right away, and that I....

"Okay, wait a minute while I speak to my superior...."

Hahaha! Oh well, sometimes we need to be professionally assertive without sounding arrogant, lest we couldn't get what we rightfully deserve. Besides, here in Canada, most educational and related institutions have this program known as PLAR, which honors and recognizes a person's educational background including her/his work and other related experiences.

"PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) is a process of identifying, assessing, and recognizing what a person knows and can do, for the purpose of awarding academic credit." (Canadian Labour Force Development Board, 1999).

So...

The lady said to hold on for a while so she may speak to a superior first. After several minutes, she told me,

"Okay, your appointment will be on November 15, 1 p.m., at our office. We'll give you the examination and an interview. Bring your permanent-residence documents as well as your Manitoba health card. Good luck."

Yes! I got away from having to undergo a four-week program, which would surely be helpful, but which I feel I'd no longer be needing, especially that I couldn't afford to spend four weeks of my busy time on it. I'd rather spend this one whole month on other more fruitful endeavors.

...
Half Life Half Death - "Kapit-Tuko"

Surfing YouTube dot com, I stumbled upon these two personally made videos that used one of the songs of my erstwhile band Half Life Half Death. The lead actor in the first video had obviously saw us back in the '90s during our TV guestings, because he seemed to know my usual moves and performance antics. He also spoofed my trademark use of a small plastic toy guitar in each of our TV performances. Great video. Thanks!


The second video employed our song as a background for his photo commentary on the administration of the current president of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

I share what my friend and former Half Life Half Death bandmate Pet de Jesus said: "It never crossed my mind that 'Kapit-Tuko' could also have a political bent to it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home