The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I Will Not Take These Things for Granted

.
August 16, 2006
Wednesday

I just got home from my work at A&W Restaurant. A tough afternoon it was, once again. For a few hours, I practically manned both the drive-thru and the inside cashiering. I began doing this last Monday. Considering today was only my third day to do that feat, I pulled it off relatively well, with help from the manager whenever customers would arrive in a succession.

What I found difficult with the drive-thru was understanding the accent of some of the customers, who were diverse. Funnily, I could somehow guess correctly if the race of the speaker was Indian, Filipino, or Caucasian. Verbal English really comes in various flavors of accents and pronunciation. Being attentive to all of them, I've started to imitate each accent depending on my whim. I was really having fun. I am proud to say that I, compared to some of my Caucasian coworkers who are also assigned at the front area, usually evoke more smiles and warmth. Some of my coworkers tend to be serious-looking and robotic in their manner of greeting and selling.

Wary of getting shouted at or of earning annoyance if ever I make a boo-boo, I immediately greet the customers warmly as soon as they enter the establishment and approach the counter. Seeing me smiling, they have no choice but to be kind with me as well.

I've also applied the upselling and suggestive selling technique pretty well. Usually, I use a little bit of psychology. I could somehow sense when a customer knows exactly what s/he wants to order; in this case, I minimize suggesting too much add-ons. But every time I sense that the customer is indecisive with what s/he wants to order, that's when I begin to offer the specials and the other related stuff. Suggestive selling involves psychology. I should be sensitive to the current mood and personality of the person in front of me, lest I'd surely annoy her.

...
The healthcare agency called this morning, assigning me to an evening shift tomorrow, 3:30 p.m. to 11:45 p.m. In the morning, I'd be working at A&W, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., so tomorrow will be a long day.

...
I decided not to accept work on Saturday and Sunday; I have reserved the weekend for practice sessions of my band haLf man haLf eLf. We would be opening for Siakol on their gig here in Winnipeg, on August 26; less than two weeks more to go.

...
Today is Grandfather's 40th day of demise. There are visitors in the house right now, ready for the prayer session. While I--am here in the basement, writing this entry.

...
On my way home, I'm always on earphones, listening to music. This lightens up my day. Songs for today include the following:

The Cutting Crew - "Any Colour"
The Cutting Crew - "One for the Mockingbird"
Lowlife - "Ramafied"
Lowlife - "River of Woe"
The Rain - "Girl in Mind"
The Rain - "Perfect Moment"
Sugar - "If I Can't Change Your Mind"
Sugar - "Helpless"
Toad the Wet Sprocket - "I Will Not Take These Things for Granted"
Toad the Wet Sprocket - "One Wind Blows"
They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul"
They Might Be Giants - "Dr. Worm"
Translator - "Come with Me"
Translator - "Gravity"
Ultravox - "One Small Day"
Ultravox - "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes"
The Wallflowers UK - "Blushing Girl, Nervous Smile"
The Wallflowers UK - "Thank You"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home