The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Monday, August 07, 2006

Patience, my Padawan

.
August 7, 2006
Monday
Civic Day


August 5 to 7 is long weekend. Today, Monday, is Civic Day. My relatives with some friends went camping at Tito Ren's cottage lot in Manipogo, a town three-hours' drive away from Winnipeg where we are. I was unable to go with them. I had work. That's okay. After almost three years of earning nothing and feeling useless and a bit worthless, I'd rather spend time working at my jobs than going on holidays.

A&W
Last week, from Monday to Wednesday, I worked at A&W...my second week there. I'm learning the job fairly quickly. I'm manning now the cash register with confidence. I just needed assistance every time the order went with coupons. But at the rate I'm coping, I'm feeling relaxed and comfortable.

Thursday, I finally bought uniforms for my healthcare aide job.

Friday, I thought I'd be spending the day home, watching DVDs or listening to music, but in the morning A&W called, asking me to work, 11:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. Of course, I said yes. The day was busy, but I like it better that way. Time flies when both of your hands are full.

The credit-card machine was not working. My coworkers made a sign which read: Credit card machine is TEMPORARELY unavailable. Sorry for the INCONVINIENCE.

Fortunately I saw what they were making, and I overheard that they were figuring out the spellings of the words. I offered my services, of course.

I wrote, TEMPORARILY and INCONVENIENCE.

After work, before catching the bus home, I dropped by the nearby Sir William Stephenson Public Library to apply for a library card. After a few minutes, I went home with borrowed stuff: 2 DVDs--The Terminal (Tom Hanks, Catherine Zeta-Jones) and Seabiscuit (Tobey Maguire)--and 5 CDs--The Lemonheads' Car Button Cloth, The Rockin' Highliners' Sputnik Cafe, The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina, Tears for Fears' Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, and XTC's English Settlement.


Health Care Aide
I was despatched to another nursing home. This time, Tache Centre, on Despins Street. I worked there on Saturday and yesterday, Sunday, both in the evening shift--3:15 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Compared with the tasks and routines at Tuxedo Villa, those at Tache Centre were easier. The atmosphere was relaxed. I did fairly well. Thanks to the healthcare aide who was my partner for those two days, Adolph Ibalama, a Black from the African country of Congo. He was serious, and he seldom laughed. But I found him okay, especially that he always gave me pieces of advice. He kept on telling me, "Be brave and focused. Maintain your composure and self-confidence. Don't panic."

At the rate I'm learning, I'm certain that I will be a good nurse someday. Years ago, I couldn't picture myself working as a nurse; but now, everything's clear. My having taken B.S. Nursing in College was not a mistake after all.

Journalism and Creative Writing were my real choices when I was in fourth-year highschool. But eventhough I didn't have the chance to take these courses, I still became a writer. And because of this, I'll always be grateful. In the end, I was able to enjoy the fruits of both careers. And with a bonus at that--my having been a musician.

The Choice
Today, I was scheduled to work at A&W from 2:00 p.m. to 5 p.m. Then, in the morning, the healthcare agency called, asking me to work today at Tache Centre, 3 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. As much as I wanted to, I declined, saying that I have a schedule at my other work. Since that I'm still new, I gave priority to A&W which scheduled me first. If I called in sick at A&W and then took the healthcare-aide job, I would have earned $144 today! (since it's a holiday). With three hours of work at A&W, I only earned around $25. See the difference? Of course, I felt a bit regretful; but I just told myself that I'm just a beginner once again. Just a little patience and consideration to which scheduled me first, and I'll be luckier next time.

I guess, I'll stay with A&W for the meantime, working Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays; until my healthcare-aide job becomes a regular thing.

I can hear Yoda whispering in my ears...

For the meantime, I heed the little green Master.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home