The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Saturday, September 24, 2005

I, too!

.
"Have you noticed it?" asked a friend of mine.

"Noticed what?" I replied.

"Remember, the grammatical blunder we used to talk about? The use of 'Me, too,' instead of 'I, too.'"

"Of course!"

"When are you going to write about it on your blog site? I've been waiting for it for the longest time."

Well, yeah, I think I already wrote about it in the past. Also, I have already thought of blogging about this but seemed always to forget about it. This is nothing enormous, actually. But, thanks for reminding me.

To many others, it may even be too trivial, not a big deal. But to someone like me who has the penchant (and now, the luxury of time) to dwell on even the most trivial of things, I won't let this pass without expressing my judgment on it.

My friend and I are pertaining to a grammatical blunder, which we consider one of, if not the most widely used and tolerated grammatical error in the English language.

We're talking about the use of "Me, too" instead of "I, too."

This grammatical error is a "cousin" of the grammatical error "Me and my friends" when used as the subject of a sentence.

To illustrate:

Incorrect: "Me and my friends are watching a movie later."
Should be: "My friends and I are watching a movie later."
.
...because the personal pronoun me should be used only in the objective case; while I in the subjective case. And, the location of the personal pronouns in the sample sentences above is in the subject part; therefore, the use of me as a part of the subject of a sentence (as in the first sentence above) is incorrect.

And, this applies also to "Me, too."
.
"Me, too" is incorrect because the 'case' of the personal pronoun used in this sentence should be subjective; therefore, I instead of me should have been used; as in, "I, too."
.
Actually, "I, too" (or the blunder "Me, too") is simply a contraction of a sentence as in the example below:
.
Arianne to Mommy: "I want to go with you."
Kevin, who also wanted to go with Mommy: "Me, too!"
.
Kevin's utterance is actually a contraction of "Mommy, me, too, want to go with you"; this is grammatically incorrect because he should have used the subjective case of the personal pronoun, which is I.
.
Therefore:
.
Arianne: "[Mommy,] I want to go with you."
Kevin: "I, too!" (or to complete the utterance, "Mommy, I, too, want to go with you."

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home