The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Sunday, May 15, 2005

My Best Friend at Diwa


Photo taken in 2003, at the Magazine Editorial Department of Diwa Scholastic Press Inc., Makati City, Philippines Posted by Hello

I'd like to share the following message sent by Jayge E. Salvan, my best-friend back during my scholastically productive and memorable time at Diwa Scholastic Press (2001–2003). I never thought I could still forge a deep and worthy friendship late in life; especially that I always believed that the best of friends one could ever have are those born in childhood or, at least, those made in highschool.

Thu, 12 May 2005
"When I saw this pix [the elf character below], I immediately thought of my far-away friendyou.

kahit nagpagupit ka na
o kahit lumipat-lipat ka pa,
saan mang lugar d'yan sa Canada,
I still don't care...'coz you are still far away.

ayos...drama."

jAyGeSaLvAn

"A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart."—Heather Kowalski


I still very well remember how Jayge and I started our friendship. Year 2001, he was the editor of Diwa's Salaguinto Science Magazine for Elementary while I of Bato Balani Science & Technology Magazine for High School, the two of us were usually the ones left in the workplace late through the night, doing overtime work without pay. And that passion and love for what we were doing was the very bond which drew us together as friends. We'd since become inseparable buddies, assisting each other with our respective works. We've somehow influenced each other in so many areas of our personalities—music, art, industriousness, friendship....and the list goes on and on. But the best thing about Jayge that I would always remember are his down-to-earth character, serious yet cool approach to life (especially that he is already a husband and a father to three children), his diligence and orderliness in the workplace which infected many of us back then, and his determination and perseverance in trying to learn anything worth knowing.

I witnessed many of Jayge's tribulations, in and out of the workplace. I shared many of his jubilations as well. I saw him maligned and degraded by a former boss, and he stood up and returned without revenge. I saw him cry, I saw him laugh, I saw him worry about his family...and now, I'm glad, he's back to his jolly self.

As I always used to tell Jayge, "Life is always a struggle, with less ups than downs; but we need to keep moving on nonetheless." (' seems like I'm the one needing to hear that from a friend. Hahaha!)

Anyway, thanks, Jayge, for always reminding me of those days at Diwa. They were tough times, but tougher were we, who had the temerity to confront even the vice presidents of the company just to speak up and protect our rights and dignity. Until now, I feel that the "Bill Fernando experience" was a battle we fought bitterly hard but won sweetly in the end.

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you very much for being an open-minded person and a multi-talented eLf...you really (and i must emphasize "REALLY") inspire every individual (fellow elves?) that comes your way.

    i've told you this and let me remind you that i included you in one of the chapters of "My Book".

    continue to inspire....

    don't expire.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    My Dear Friend Jayge,
    Mahirap na ring tumbasan yung pinagsamahan natin. Kahit nuong 2001 lang tayo nagkakilala at nagsimulang maging magkaibigan e andami nating pinagdaanan. Lagi tayong magkasama sa mga gimmick, "plots" (hahaha!), overtimes, paggawa ng tula o pag-ayos ng mga istorya, pag-edit ng trabaho, pag-conceptualize ng mga magazines kahit na sa ibang ka-editor natin, pagtulog sa bahay nyo o bahay namin, swimming, tambay sa malls, punta sa mga kakilala, writers, attend ng beauty pageant, iyakan, tampuhan, nood sine, tambay UP, labasan ng sama ng loob at hinanakit sa mundo, lovelife, grabe!! kukulangin na 'tong space sa dami pala ng mga bagay na napagsamahan natin. Kaya naman I highly regard you as a truly great friend.

    Good luck as always. Believe in what I always tell you...that your talents won't remain wasted as long as you believe they will get you somewhere.

    As for your friend here...don't worry, I want to believe that I'm becoming stronger each passing hardship.

    I won't fail you...I'll continue to inspire. Mahaba pa ang expiry date ko. Marami pa akong dapat ma-achieve sa buhay. Gusto ko pa maipamana sa magiging anak ko kung anumang kaalaman ang nakalap ko sa buong buhay ko.

     
  • At Thursday, May 19, 2005 3:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    asus mag-iyakan na tayo dito.

    jayge bat pag dito sa blog magaganda sinasabi mo kay aLf? pag magkasama tayo hinde? hahahaha! kidding! hon, sabi nya matangkad ka lang daw sa kanya konti dahil sa takong ng shoes mo hahaha!

    -c.

     
  • At Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope that both of you believe that absence really makes the heart grow fonder. Like even if you're miles apart, the friendship you built will remain to the end.

     
  • At Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:22:00 AM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Of course. In fact, Jayge is one of the friends I miss back in the Philippines. I'm happy that, despite his own struggles, he's always above his problems.

    Jayge, pagbakasyon ko e siguradong gigimik tayo. Kasama si Naparate. Hehehe.

     
  • At Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are right Mr. Elf! Jayge has great talents....some unusual, got the looks, too (but doesn't think he has it!) You will admire him because inspite of that, he remains humble and low-profile. Isa pa, he is the real life version of "The Adventures of Peter Pan". Daming adventures sa buhay nitong taong 'to. He'd take you to Never Never Land once he starts narrating his life story.
    Now, do i sound like i'm an avid fan of his? perhaps i really am. Well, there's no wondering why once a person gets to know him. Period.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home