The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Farewell, Long Hair and Earrings

Not because I'm superstitious—in fact, I never was—but I regard this more as a symbolic transformation...into yet another higher level of my character towards maturity and seriocity...

From now on, I would no longer grow my hair long. For the first time in my life, I feel so light and sunny having short hair. I've also decided to remove my earrings, which I wouldn't be wearing anymore.

I was in second highschool, 1986, when I had my first ear piercing. This was very cool back then, especially that earrings for males at that time was still taboo. But I broke the rules. It was also in the same year when I began growing my hair relatively long (ala Jeremy Kelly of The Lotus Eaters and then Robert Smith of The Cure and Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen). I was among the first few. I broke the rules. It's now 2005, almost 20 years have passed! Whew! It's surprising to realize how long I've been donning this kind of fashion. And I decided, that was more than enough. I already had my more-than-fair taste of glory and relative fame with this kind of uniqueness. It's time for me to move on. Redundancy intended, I'm like a butterfly metamorphosing into a yet another butterfly. And most significant of all, my decision to transform came from within and not from without.

But don't get me wrong, I would still be wearing my pink DMs as well as my black outfits. My eLf shoes, perhaps occasionally. I will not change my taste in music. I will still frolic in Neverland. I will remain the same childlike and youthful eLf.

All I left behind are my long hair and my earrings. That's all. So, this means I may, once in a while, still try a teased hair ala Robert Smith; or a spiked one ala Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode; or the classic, iconic look of Jeremy Kelly as seen in the picture below. Hahaha! (At least, no more of the undercut, semi-Mohican style.)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home