The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"I, too" versus "Me, too"

.
I received a comment from a friend of mine concerning my blog entry entitled "I, too!"

She said:

Eh paano kung may isang nagsabing, "He told me he loved me." Tapos, sagot nu'ng isa, "Me, too," meaning, "He told me he loved me, too." Eh di mali ang "I, too"?

[What then if someone said, "He told me he loved me." Then, another one uttered, "Me, too," meaning, "He told me he loved me, too." Wouldn't this make "Me, too" correct in this occurrence, renderring "I, too" grammatically incorrect?]

My reply:

I also considered that, but I edited that portion out because I thought "Me, too" in that occurrence is rarely used anyway; but since you brought it up, here's the portion about it:

To reiterate, "Me, too" is grammatically incorrect when and if used in a subjective case.

Although rarely used, "Me, too" may also stand alone grammatically correct if and when it occurs in an objective case, as in the example you gave:

Noreen: "He told me he loved me."
Kessa: "Me, too." (which is the complete utterance of "He told me he loved me, too.")

In that case, the use of "Me, too" is grammatically correct.

Therefore, the grammatical correctness of "I, too" or "Me, too" depends on its occurrence in a sentence—

When occurring in the subject, as in a subjective case, "I, too" is the correct phrase to use.
When occurring in the predicate as an object, as in an objective case, "Me, too" it is.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home