The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Saturday, April 01, 2006

haLf man haLf eLf at Howard Johnson

.
March 31, 2006
Friday

Studio 69's guitarist Roy Gutierrez, who is also the guitarist of my new band, invited me to jam again with them in their gig at Howard Johnson Hotel. Our bassist, Jason, would also be coming over.
Roy, in 1989; he associates this picture to his fondness for The Cure's Disintegration album, which was released that year

Of course, I was excited with the invitation. Performing onstage is very therapeutic for me. Every time I'm singing my New Wave heart out onstage, I feel like a demigod. More so, because of these activities, my small world is gradually expanding. I am slowly spreading my fairy wings. I wish I can fly much sooner.

Roy, Arnold , and Jojo of Studio 69

Studio 69 plays every Friday night at the lounge of Howard Johnson Hotel on Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg. The band consists of Arnold Tungol on vocals, Jojo Yso and Roy on guitars, Mike Almonte on bass, and Joshua Bernardo on drums. Their repertoire include songs by Nickelback, Theory of a Dead Man, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Bryan Adams, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down, and their own charged-up version of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game."

Jojo, Arnold, Roy at Howard Johnson

Last night was my fourth time to check them out, and my third time to join them onstage to play my stuff.

I, Roy, Arnold, and Sarah

Friday nights are really becoming my weekend getaway from the stress and frustration I feel from having to stay in the house virtually every day to look after and take care of Grandfather.

Que, Ellsworth, Roy, Sarah, and Mike at Howard Johnson Hotel

Because of attending those gigs, I also continue to make several new friends and acquaintances. Again and again, the magic of music is drawing kindred spirits toward one another.

I, Bong, Sarah, and Ericson

As usual, friends and many in the audience gave me their smiles and claps of appreciation after the performance. Since my band is yet to practice new songs, we performed our previous set: "I Melt with You" (Modern English), "Just like Heaven" (The Cure), and "The One I Love" (R.E.M.).

haLf man haLf eLf onstage once again

Tomorrow we would be having a practice session at Jason's basement to polish the new songs I have chosen for our playlist: "Ring the Bells" (James), "The Promise" (version of The Eyeliners), "The Days Go By Oh So Slow" (Nightmare of You), "Gentle Sound" (The Railway Children), "Chamber of Hellos" (Wire Train), "There Is a Boy who Never Goes Out" (The Lucksmiths), and "Susi" (The Dawn).

As an act of courtesy, by the way, I e-mailed Jett Pangan of The Dawn to inform him that my new band, haLf man haLf eLf, would be covering one of his band's song--to which he promptly replied:

What's it all about, Alfie?

Kumusta, my Canadian friend? Sure, we'd be glad if you cover "Susi" live. Yes, [former Eraserhead] Buddy's the bassman now.

The Dawn is celebrating 20 years of music this year. We will release a 20th anniv CD featuring some new songs and re-recordings of past songs. There will also be a movie about us to be filmed this year.

All the best to you, bro!

Jett

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home