The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Saturday, May 21, 2005

My Last Days in British Columbia

Friday, May 20
My cousin Heinjie (Mike's other brother) and his wife, Myra, who live in Manitoba, arrived in the afternoon for a ten-day vacation here in British Columbia. So, last night, we had dinner at the house of Tita Mely (their mom) in Vancouver. I love going to their house, mainly because it sits in front of Mount View Cemetery. I'm not being morbid; but cemeteries hold for me many lovely memories, especially because my family used to go to Manila Memorial Park in Sucat, Parañaque, every November, to visit our departed ones; and that yearly affair had also become small reunions for me and some seldom-seen relatives, as well as a chance to be with longtime friends like Rain, Ohmy, Jonathan, who also have departed ones buried in the same cemetery.

Saturday, May 21
All of them, with Grandfather, are spending the whole day in Seattle, Washington. Since I am yet to obtain a US visa, I couldn't go with them. So, I was left, alone, at the house. Little did they know that I love moments like this: when I'm by myself, feeling peaceful and temporarily freed of my nursing responsibilities to Grandfather.

10:19 a.m., I'm listening to music. The Wild Swans' Bringing Home the Ashes album has just ended; now, I'm putting in Care's Diamonds and Emeralds. I usually listen to my CDs in this manner, from beginning to end without skipping any song. I'm not afflicted with the "one-hit wonder" syndrome, in which the music listener chooses to listen only to the popular hits of a particular artist, skipping the other songs in seeming disrespect. When I have a CD of a particular artist, I almost always give the whole album a chance to be heard...I play it in its entirety.

On a backdrop of my favorite music, I'm laundering all our (Grandfather's and mine) remaining clothes, in time for our flight tomorrow. Yes, our flight to Winnipeg, Manitoba, is scheduled tomorrow, 7:45 a.m. So, we need to be at Vancouver Airport around 5:30 a.m. Mike's driving us there. I'm already excited. I'm looking forward mostly to the change of environment and characters, as well as to the inevitably new catalysts for my literary musings—new setting, new characters, new inspirations, new perspectives, new plots, new places, new images.

After lunch today, I'm going to Metrotown Centre in Burnaby. I'll be watching Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Actually, this is my first time to fail to watch Star Wars in a premiere or first day of showing. My inability to go out on my own anytime I want is obviously the reason. Understand me, my fellow Padawan learners; even Jedi fail in their mission once in a while, but never would a true Jedi like me be lured into the darkside.

So, later, I'll treat myself to my most favorite Fantasy of all time and to a sumptuous dinner at Nando's Portuguese Flame-Grilled Chicken. I also plan to taste the calamari caesar at OPA of Greece restaurant which Bheck, a friend of mine since the early '90s who now lives in Burnaby, had previously recommended.

When I arrive back to the house later, I'll print out a copy of our boarding pass / plane ticket, pack the remaining stuff, listen again to music, and write my perhaps last blog entry in British Columbia.

But first, I'm calling my Belovèd on the phone...she's waiting for me...see you later.

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    b, namulubi ka na ba sa kakabili ng fonecards? 10 or more in 4 days? hehe! promise ako naman next time. love you!!!

    -c.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home