The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Can You Really Fly?

(On the Ability to Discern a True and Smart Sense of Hope)
by aLfie vera mella

There are many adages that I learned as a young person but started to disbelieve as an adult; because when I really thought about their meanings, they are often illogical and shallow and inapplicable in actual situations. The following are examples of these:

"Love your enemies."
[No way! That's hypocrisy or stupidity or carelessness. Why would I love my enemies? I would certainly dislike them and avoid them and, as much as possible, stay away from their paths. For example, would you love someone who have raped or stole from a relative or friend of yours?]

"You cannot serve two masters at the same time."
[This depends on what masters are being referred to in this metaphor. If the master here pertains to a skill or a form of art, then it is possible to master more than one form of art or one type of skills. It's just a matter of passion and discipline and the determination to develop, practice, and use regularly such chosen artforms or skills.]

"Money is the root of all evil."
[Of course, not. Money--like the Internet (or technology, for that matter)--is a neutral tool. It depends on the user how to use these things for a good cause and purpose.]

"Everything is possible / Nothing is impossible."
[What an ignorant and naive claim. There are things that are not possible, based on the limitations of every individual or every circumstance. For example, can you fly? I don't think so.]

Many people enjoy ascribing to old and familiar quotes without even really analyzing their meanings and their actual applicability in real-life situations. To believe in such unrealistic quotes is tantamount to entertaining and promoting a false sense of hope; it only causes frustrations because they are unrealizable to begin with, so the individual who would believe in them would simply experience inevitable frustrations and dissatisfaction.

I am optimistic, but I remain realistic. Of course, I have a strong sense of hope; but my sense of hope is clearly anchored to my personal and circumstantial limitations.

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, January 06, 2013 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous rainbow said…

    More on pagpapakatotoo,,getting old and experiencing mid-lifing was terrible ,the time when we accumulate life experiences..The aging process that we must enjoy at this point in time,where everybody are subjective.People just care how much they become or how much they worth..Pera pera daw yan,teacher sa pinas ,dh sa abroad ..those pride chicken ek ek..vice ganda rules Anu ba ...ok fine.Street smart indeed.Wisdom comes with age ,just keep going, after all the dots will connect by.itself on where you will be going.I want to grow old gracefully and do the things I really want to do,and getting surprised everyday by the term Life .

     
  • At Friday, January 11, 2013 1:25:00 AM, Anonymous Daydreamer said…

    I can't fly! But how I wish I can so I can be where I want to be! Why can't I stop daydreaming? Why can't I stop being illogical and shallow? Thanks Alf for the reminder to wake up!

     
  • At Friday, January 11, 2013 1:46:00 AM, Anonymous Daydreamer said…

    Being unrealistic ..."only causes frustrations because they are unrealizable to begin with, so the individual who would believe in them would simply experience inevitable frustrations and dissatisfaction" ...oh my! sniff-sniff...it hurts Alf ...this really hurts!

     
  • At Friday, January 11, 2013 5:38:00 PM, Blogger eLf ideas said…

    Mind you, I;m optimistic but realistic; but this doesn't mean that I don't or couldn't daydream or fantasize about impossible things once in a while.

    The only difference is, I know well if a certain wish of mine is realistic and probable or if it is just a daydream or a fantasy--

    For example, sometimes I fantasize that I'm in Middle-earth or that I'm a Jedi and would play mind tricks with people.

    Or sometimes I daydream that I with my band would become famous internationally.

    ==
    Your daydreams--like flying--are valid. At least, you acknowledge that it is just a daydream that could never really come true.

    The problem starts when you begin to really believe that you could actually fly--if this happens, it's time to consult a psychiatrist. This suddenly reminds me of an '80s movie that I really like--'Birdy' (1984), starring Matthew Modine and Nicolas Cage--check it out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home