The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Friday, July 08, 2005

"Yellow" by Coldplay

.
Replacing Depeche Mode's "But Not Tonight" as my blog site's soundtrack is one of my early favorites from the relatively new band Coldplay. I remember back in 2001, when I was still a contributing writer to the Philippine-based Web site Cybertambayan, I wrote several music and movie reviews that included my review of Coldplay's debut album, Parachutes.

Since getting acquainted and falling in love in the '80s with the so-called Alternative / New Wave sound, I have developed the ear for such kind of music. I am among those who do not agree that the particular genre of music which was championed by pioneers like Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, The Cure, U2, a-ha, and New Order had long been dead and gone. For, I always believed that as long as I know the feel and the sound of the genre, I can always discern who among up and coming artists carry in their music the particular sound I fell in love with in my highschool days. I need not limit myself to the classics to feel the same bliss I felt back in the '80s, for...

In the '90s, countless then-new bands proved to me that the sound I love was endless...bands like Blur, Suede, Pulp, Popsicle, The Lemonheads, Gin Blossoms, The Smashing Pumpkins, This Perfect Day, Oasis, The Cranberries, Garbage, Dillon Fence, Soul Asylum, Love Spit Love, Rialto, Monaco...

In the advent of 2000, newer bands of the same sound appeared...Travis, Wheatus, Coldplay...

Coldplay: John Buckland, Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, and Will Champion

And as the new millennium progresses, more and more bands which carry with them the sound I love continue to blossom...The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Keane, Bloc Party, The Bravery, The Arcade Fire, Interpol, The Libertines, The Strokes, British Sea Power, Embrace, Budapest, Elefant, The Postal Service, The Tears...

So, who said Alternative / New Wave is dead? It may keep on assuming a new moniker, but the sound of such kind of music will never escape my discerning sonic taste.

And here, to represent the Alternative / New Wave sound of the new millennium, 2000...

Yellow
by Coldplay
(Parachutes, 2000)

Look at the stars; look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

I came along; I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh what a thing to have done
And it was all yellow

Your skin, oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
D'you know?
You know I love you so
You know I love you so

I swam across; I jumped across for you
Oh what a thing to do
'Cos you were all yellow

I drew a line; I drew a line for you
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all yellow

And your skin, oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
D'you know?
For you I bleed myself dry
For you I bleed myself dry

It's true
Look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for?

Look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for you
Look how they shine

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things that you do

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dear aLf,

    yellow's imagery and sadness, its video, chris' poetic delivery is one of the best pre-stardom songs by a band, its greatness neither harbored nor hindered by a genre...these days its melody alone reflects my inner sentiment.

    ROMMIE

     

Post a Comment

<< Home