The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Friday, April 01, 2005

The Sith Are Coming!


Photo taken on December 6, 2004, in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada: I with a Scout Trooper and a Gamorrean Guard Posted by Hello

Note: I already posted this entry on a separate blog; however, I'm re-posting it here on my main blog in anticipation of the forthshowing final episode of the modern myth many came to love: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. (How I wish I was home, in the Philippines, so I could watch a première in May.)

Prelude
Sith is an ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side and determined to destroy the Jedi. Well-known members of the Sith order include Darth Sidious and Darth Maul, from Episode I: The Phantom Menace; and Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader, from the original Star Wars Trilogy.

Jedi, on the other hand, is the noble order of protectors unified by their belief and observance of the Force. Some of the well-loved and famous Jedi are Yoda, Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi, and, of course, Luke Skywalker.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is slated to be released in theaters on May 19, 2005.

One highlight of the upcoming movie is the inclusion of the Wookiee Chewbacca, one of the most beloved and well-remembered characters from the original trilogy. Another interesting highlight is the exploration of the homeworld of the Wookiees, named Kashyyyk—a lush world teeming with immense forests, where houses are built atop gigantic trees.

Return to My Own Tatooine
I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977, right after I saw the first-ever Star Wars movie, which is known now as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. I could still remember the day my father took me and my sister Lovelle to Magallanes Theater in Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines, to watch the movie. Right after the opening music theme of the movie, I knew right away that the film would become one of my favorites and that I was destined to be a Star Wars fan. I was correct, for I remain a loyal fan, watching every film and collecting books and action figures.

To this day, every time I see anything Star Wars I can feel the child in me. Just looking at a single Star Wars action figure transcends me to many precious days in my past. I still remember, back in Grade 5, 1983, when I used to frequent a toy shop, Fontana's Hobby Shop, in Goldcrest Building at Ayala Center in Makati, to marvel at the various action figures there. It was also the store where I bought many of my action figures which included Dungeons & Dragons, Masters of the Universe, and DC Superpowers.

I can still recall, in first-year high school, 1984, when I with several classmates cut classes to go to Greenhills Shopping Lane in San Juan, Metro Manila, where a few similar hobby shops sold action figures and other collectible toys. I was a frequent visitor of the shops since then.

I'd like to thank an elementary classmate of mine named Paul Medina, who one day brought several Star Wars action figures to my delight. That was the very day I decided I'd be collecting such figures; for prior to that, I was content in collecting those plastic Star Wars figures one could find in a tin of Ovaltine powder drink as freebies.

Many of the action figures I was able to buy in elementary out of my school allowance are still in my possession. I continue to buy figures, as well as books; but I remain a "smalltime collector" as compared with the countless Star Wars collectors out there. Nevertheless, I pride myself as a loyal fan by having a vast knowledge about Star Wars, especially about the characters and their expanded stories.

Ultimately, the biggest achievement I had as a Star Wars fan is my being able to influence my nephew Algae into becoming a Padawan himself. I'm certain that you'll be amazed to know that you can engage Algae in a conversation about Star Wars for hours.

And, I intend to bequeath the Jedi in me to my future children, Frril-oem Krryyl and Evawwen Lii-athne.

May the Force be among all of us!

a fellow Padawan,
aLfie

"To have a good memory is both a blessing and a curse."—A.C. Crispin, The Han Solo Trilogy (1998, Bantam Books)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home