The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Monday, November 18, 2013

(Finding) Love in the Logic of Life

November 11, 2013
Monday

I picked up my bandmate mandolin/guitar player Dave this late noon and we practiced some songs at my place. We finally finished the structure of our version of The Cascades' "Rhythm of the Rain," our own song "Remembering 'Lorain,'" and we began working on a new original whose intricate Celtic-sounding riff came from Dave. He asked me to come up with the words; he just gave me his idea--that the song is about the realization that, despite the struggles and difficulties that we all must face in life, we still need to enjoy happy moments.

After hammering the music and the arrangement for almost an hour and humming the vocal melodies, I finally came up first with the title and then with the stanzas and the chorus. But this, of course, is still subject to change, as new sections need to be added next time. A song, while it's not yet studio-recorded, always remains a work in progress...

"Love in the Logic of Life"

Stanza 1

A friend of mine asked me, "Shall we ever find love
In the logic of life?" I said,
"Yes, of course; I mean, we should."
That's the logical thing to do--

We struggle to survive
We live and then we smile
We laugh and then we cry
And soldier on and on and on

Chorus

To find love in the logic of life
To make love with the logic of life
There's life in the logic of love
I live for the love of logic

Stanza 2

When I was a boy, living was already both
Easy and hard; happy and sad.
Don't tell me life was simple
Because in both childhood and age

We stumble and strive
We love and break our hearts
We dream, we fly, we fall
But carry on and on and on

Chorus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home