The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Friday, March 04, 2005

Plucking Leafs from My Tree of Memories Ch.7


I with my Tito Bobby in his early 30s; in the early 70s, in Mati, Davao, Philippines. I was about three years old. Posted by Hello

Chapter Seven
Fishes and Birds

Tito Bobby (Roberto A. Vera) is my mother's third brother, born on December 2, 1940; married to Tita Hedy (Hedeliza Alparaque-Vera). He immigrated to California, United States, in 1980.

I have lots of fond and enduring memories with this uncle of mine. I very well remember back in the late 70s—in early elementary—he used to take me with him to the pet shops in Cartimar, Pasay City, where he would buy pet animals, especially fishes and birds. Because of this, I at such an early age had become familiar with the names of different species of fishes like angelfish, goldfish, black mollies, swordtails, tiger barbs, algae eaters, albino sharks, hammerhead sharks, seahorses, tetras, and guppies. Tito Bobby also tended various birds such as pigeons, parrots, and lovebirds. I believe that Tito Bobby's love for pets was a chief catalyst in my fascination for animals.

I remember feeling sad when Tito Bobby finally left for the United States. Nevertheless, his kindness did not end when he left the Philippines for, even when he was already in the United States, he continued to show his generosity by sending me books and toys, particularly Dungeons & Dragons and DC Super Powers action figures, some of which are still in my keeping. [You can see them in "My Action Figures" archive.]

~~~
On Saturday, Tito Bobby and his wife (along with the rest of Grandfather's children with their respective families [except my mother, who is in the Philippines]) are coming over to surprise Grandfather on his 90th birthday, March 5, 2005. I'm very excited to see Tito Bobby, especially that the last time we saw each other was in 1998, when he and his wife visited the Philippines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home