The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

There and Back Again...Someday

Cold weather awakened me very early today, around 7 a.m.; yet I got up after about an hour. After taking Amber and Julie to school, Jenny made some pancakes with chocolate sprinkles for breakfast. Only the three of us were left in the house--she, I, and Papa. Mike, as usual, was at work; Marivic, a nurse, has a varying work schedule--today, she's working dayshift.

Right after breakfast, I continued keying the glossary and the bibliography of the book I am currently finishing--entitled Engkanto: A Bestiary of Philippine Mythical Beings (Book I)--so I can already print a final copy.

Having nothing to do, Jenny decided to rewatch on DVD The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. I took a break from what I was doing and situated myself on the couch beside Papa; I never get tired of watching LOTR, as well as Star Wars.

Oops, 11:15, we had to pause the film, Jenny had to pick up Julie from school.

The film ended around 12, in time for lunch. We had for viand the leftover mechado I cooked for last night's dinner.

Back again to my Engkanto book...final check...printing...

I was about to log off when...

Pop! an e-mail from my brother-in-law, best friend Ramil:

dapat nga, alf, pakasal ka na. mahirap mag-isa pagtanda. ang mga anak mo talaga ang magpapaligaya sa 'yo. they will complete you as a person. you'll have a purpose in life and reason to live.

nakausap ko nga si sindong, yung neighbor namin; nabanggit nga nya na ang dami pa raw pala sa batch natin ang walang asawa. ikaw, si pet, at jon na nga lang ba? kahit naman wala ka pang masayadong ipon eh; kahit hindi engrande, basta may makakasama ka na na kasundo mo, ayos na.

mil

That is a reply to the e-mail (copy below) which I sent him yesterday:

Mil,
buti naman at inaayos n'yo na mga compositions n'yo. mas may mangyayari sa banda n'yo pag ganyan. sayang naman mga ideas and talents nyo.

ok naman ako. si charlotte nga buti, weekly ang phone call sa akin. kaya mas nagkakaroon ako ng reason to become hopeful, dahil alam kong may naghihintay sa akin.

siguradong bibiruin ako ng tropa pag nalaman nila yung decision ko na magpakasal na pag-uwi ko ryan. pero sigurado na ako sa sarili ko. gusto ko nang magkapamilya. gusto ko nang may makasama sa buhay. excited na talaga ako.

sige, tawag na lang uli ako pag nakabili na ako ng phone cards.

till then. lapit na nga pala birthday ng Mommy, Nov. 20.

aLfie

I'm ending this entry by sharing below an excerpt from Ramil's reply to an October e-mail I sent him in which I was expressing my homesickness and yearning for home.

...i'm sure na ginhawa ang kapalit nyan, di lang sa 'yo, pati na rin sa mom mo. malamang makuha mo na rin sya. yun na lang lagi mong isipin, para kang si Frodo, na naatasan sa isang bagay para sa kapakanan ng lahat! ayus ba? =)

Hmm, I guess it's time to reread The Lord of the Rings once again, to remind me that, in the end, Frodo got to return to Shire--weary, yet nevertheless more matured and responsible.

Thank you, Mil. But, wait! What the? How could I have become a hobbit when I am supposed to be an eLf? Hmmm.

aLfie

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home